Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Death With Dignity

The state of Oregon has a law that if you have a terminal illness you can chose to die before the illness takes you.  One of my college classmates wrote an essay on it in the spring and I never thought anyone I know would be using the law.  When I was in high school I became friends with a girl named Jennifer Brookhouse and I really liked her parents, especially her dad.  They didn't stay in Lovell long, but I have written Christmas cards to them over the years and since her parents divorced shortly after leaving Wyoming, I have kept in contact with her dad through emails and Christmas cards.  He always keeps me updated on all the family members.  I was sad to get a message from Jennifer saying her father's health had gotten really bad and he had decided to die with dignity the day after his 72nd birthday.   I felt so bad for Jennifer and her family and It was hard knowing he would be gone.  I sent him a few texts to thank him for his friendship and tell him good luck on the other side.  He sent me a response the morning of his death and I want to always remember it, so I'm posting it on my blog.

Thanks for your beautiful notes, Michelle and I wish you always the very best.  Enjoyed the pictures and progress reports on the family and I'd say you guys have been very successful parents.  Bye for now.  Love Mike.

No comments:

THIS IS WHERE OUR STORY BEGINS

The Thompson's