Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Bottling Chicken

Jayson has been on a preparedness kick for a year now.  He is determined to make sure we have everything we need in case times get tough.  When we lived in Lovell I always had a big food storage and would go can things.  When we moved I gave a lot of it away and have thrown a lot away because it got old and I had no place to store a bunch of extra here.  Now that we only have Jayden at home we have extra bedrooms, so we are filling closets and under beds and Jayson has a whole room at his shop that he has dedicated to food.  He has stocked up on lots of propane and is getting water and has a huge truck trailer that is insulated where he will keep all the water.  He has bought sleeping bags and first aid kits and lots of toilet paper.  I laugh because we can't eat toilet paper.  He went and bought 100 lbs of chicken and planned to bottle it yesterday.  I decided I better help because I have done plenty of canning in my life and know how much time it takes.  He learned a lot yesterday.  He bought mostly thighs because thats what they had the most of.  Big mistake.  They have lots of fat and not much meat on them and it takes hours to cut them up and clean off the fat.  I cut almost none stop from 11 to 8 yesterday.  I only stopped to fix lunch and fold some clothes.  Tianna and Eric came over and Eric helped cut for about an hour and a half and Teisha and Ryan came and Ryan helped for about two and a half hours.  Jayson cut for a few hours and Jayden even did until he cut his finger and had to have a band aid.  He also had football practice so he lucked out and got to leave.  We ordered pizza for everyone and they were all glad for a break.  I kept cutting while everyone ate because I wanted to be done.  We had quite the set up.  Jayson had two camp chefs on the back patio going and 5 pressure cookers.  We finished about 1 a.m. and we were exhausted, but we have 86 pints of chicken.  Don't know if I can eat it now after cutting it all up, but at least everyone else will have something to eat.  lol
Jayson & Jayden having fun!
I wish I had gotten a picture
of Eric & Ryan getting in
on the fun!



No comments:

THIS IS WHERE OUR STORY BEGINS

The Thompson's